While browsing through 6+ years of posts, I noticed several themes that repeated frequently. These make a good basis for a chess960 FAQ:-
- Where can I play chess960?
- How do you castle? (often with reference to a specific position)
- Is chess960 really chess or is it some kind of chess-like variant?
- Aren't some chess960 positions forced wins for White?
- Why can't chess and chess960 co-exist?
- Does Fischer deserve credit for the chess960 idea?
- Isn't chess960 mainly for strong players who want to avoid opening theory?
Do you have another question that you think should be in a chess960 FAQ or a good answer (not necessarily original) to one of the questions?
Here's a FAQ-like answer from Chessgames.com itself: (Q) Why does CG.com spell 'Fischerandom' with one 'r'? (A) Because that's how Fischer spelled it. This begs the question: when did Fischer ever spell it? He wasn't known for committing his thoughts to writing. Here's another: (Q) Why does the CG.com 'Random Position Generator' use nonstandard numbering for the start positions? The (A) is mentioned many times in the discussion.